Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I dont really feel like cooking at all risotto and sausage

I worked a loooooooooooooong day today. It was hard, the act of getting up, showering, waiting in line at the drive thru starbucks and not hitting the girl who messed up my order, the whole damn day was hard. The kids are hard. I'm a nanny, not a mom. The difference here is that I do not have a terrifying birth story and I get to go home at night. However, what I am NOT missing from motherhood is smelling like spit-up and dealing with other peoples bodily functions all day long. Thus, after most days at work, I want a bottle of wine and to not be asked anything of any substance for about 5 hours.
This is why God invented Trader Joes. Shameless plug here, if someone from corporate is reading this, which I doubt because I think just my mom and maybe one friend reads this, I live right by your St Louis Park store. I would totally accept a gift card of sorts to continue with shameless plugs.
Trader Joes is my answer to wanting really good food but not wanting to deal with it. I can get good Indian, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, salads, pizza etc, anything I want, from their freezer section. Sometimes I get really lucky and find something in the dry goods aisles that I can hoard in mass amounts lest they ever run out (HINT: stock more roasted red pepper spread at my store).
Risotto is my comfort food. Its like my snobby Italian mashed potatoes. This is where God has smiled upon me. Trader Joes has a mushroom risotto that is awesome, and requires none of this stirring in 1/4 c of boiling liquid at a time crap. Toast rice, add water, bring to a boil. DONE.
AND, its in the pantry section! So should there be a nuclear holocaust, I will have mushroom risotto for at least a year.
They also have fabulously yummy and not too bad for you chicken sausages. I prefer the spinach and fontina ones. Slice them thinly and pan fry them until they're all toasty brown and crispy.
Green salad (tonight though this may be too much for me), bottle of wine, also from Trader Joes, and you're done.
I dont even think I need a recipe for this one.

Make risotto according to directions on box.

Slice chicken sausage. Pan Fry. Eat smaller slices that are cooking too fast straight from the pan. Plus everyone knows that when you eat food from the pan the calories don't count.

Put on plate.

Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment